Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Celeblogs

Gossipmongers are not the only ones blogging. The subjects of gossipers' gossips are also publishing their own gossip online. Writing a blog is in vogue among the nation's who's who these days.

Aamir Khan started blogging a year ago and started with throwing light on some of film making processes, apart from his views on some other things, including his caretaker's pet's royal nomenclature. A much lesser known blog was started by the non-smoker Anurag Kashyap almost a year before Aamir, expressing his passion for cinema, especially his own cinema taking eight years. Amitabh Bachchan joined some two months ago, and has been à la angry-young-man hitting back anyone who says and has said anything against him or his family, including defending L'Oreal's work on his daughter-in-law's Cannes dressing. Ok, ashes was impressed with his writing some time back and had expressed that on his own blog, but now yeh to too much ho gaya yaar.

Next came the aag-baboola Ram Gopal Verma who started up giving dimwitted, (I am sure he believes otherwise) reactions to reactions on anything even remotely related to his movies, and even persuaded the newest and the prettiest member of the Bachchan clan to do the same for him. Lalu Prasad Yadav, who was already popular on the web owing to dating site LalooRabri.com, about which the minister had innocently quipped, "Dating maane to?", has now started real politician-style with his blogposts both in Hindi and English, and for the uninitiated, even with an audio podcast.

Shahrukh Khan wrote his first blogpost on his Knight Riders website. I am glad his was strictly business and not about his dog or someone else's dog for that matter. Karan Johar was late in the bandwagon since he couldn't come up with something and had to think for days of what to write in his first post. Thankfully he is not as prolific as the big B; hearing his voice repeatedly in the mind while reading his posts would have made many a young men desert their women.

Mandira Bedi has announced she'll start soon. Let's hope its not about cricket. We've transparently seen too much of it. There are a few more inconspicuous TV actors who've got bored of the Saas-Bahu saga and have found real-life soaps more interesting.

But what brings these celebrities to the keyboard? "Getting close to fans" is the standard reason quoted. Eliminating the middlemen who manipulate the truth is another. Venting out frustration on failures is one of my guesses. Making a fashion statement, fanmail being blocked by secretaries/wives/girlfriends can be other reasons. Joblessness can be an important trigger too, like it is for yours truly.

As with many other things, celebrity-bragging has been prevalent in the First World countries much before than it arrived in India. Bruce Willis, Donald Trump, Jackie Chan, Paris Hilton, Anna Kournikova, Victoria Beckham are a few well-knowns publishing out directly to fans. Here is a list of such celebrities and their blogs, but beware before you look out and click at the eighth item on the list, it is tempting but would lead to disappointment.

But using mute, poor animals against colleagues they call brethren? Ranting out loud? Chronicling one's daily schedule? Discussing sexual preferences? Reality sells you'd opine, but we already have an overdose of it all around us. Yeah, something on the lines of Truman Show would still be welcome, unless Truman Burbank is a tall old man with a white French beard sitting on an Italian commode with a Macbook precariously balanced on his knees typing a blog with single finger.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really doubt , whether these celebs do blog themselves. Its just another popularity act for them and a marketing boost for the sites which host their blogs.

Good thing to know that -Mandira started blogging ....hope she maintains her transparency in her blogs tooo ...

Get a sneak peak in mandira's commentary ..in last world cup ...you will believe that ashutosh is true ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSPGtDMkClg

Unknown said...

Chaitanya:

Yeah, some of them might not do it themselves, but some really do. More than a marketing boost for the sites hosting their blogs, it is a publicity boost for themselves.

Thanks for the youtube link, people would have believed anyway :).

Rishabh Makrand said...

Hmmm...actually few write for their own, few writes for popularity...few for money.. few for network...
Blog is another way, rather "e-way" of print media.
this is somewhere you can get easily noticed by the so called "upper class" society and belong to them..the same celbs want..

But, Since our Constitutions have given "freedom to speak" we cant stop them also..
may be, this post will work as awakening for some of them.
a good serious read...

Unknown said...

Rishabh:

Agree with you. We don't want to stop them, they have the right to write. If you don't like it, don't read it. That's it.

But serious post? I had intended otherwise...am I doing an RGV now?

Anadi Misra said...

funny post man...esp. the top half...I totally agree with your comments on RGV's blogpost...While I agree that most critics are plain dumb, and unqualified for the job (mostly showing off, having little or no sensibilities, lacking balance and discerning eye, or for being critical just coz they are called 'critics', oh I can go on :D), but I found RGV's responses really silly...dim-witted is the perfect word :) ...When I read the news and opened his blog, I thought I would hear some insightful comments on the making of Sarkar Raj and why he disagrees with the critics...but what I found was really petty, and I don't know any grown-up who would talk like that...I did enjoy him bashing the critics (Raja Sen,Khalid Mohammad, Subhash K. Jha, etc.)...but I didn't enjoy him bashing their criticism with utter silliness...

Also agree with Amitabh lashing out at every single criticism...I'll tell you a story...long, long time back...when Amitabh appeared in his 1st tv commercial/music video (which I think was directed by Rakesh O. Mehra, prior to Aks)...ROM told in an interview that his brother had stopped talking to him for days coz., and I quote 'Gods Don't Appear on TV' and ROM was doing that to AB...Or to use an idiom closer to home about barking dogs...While I do agree that AB should hit back at some of the criticism, but the way he has been doing it on each and every thing, making it personal,and esp. the way in which he hits back, makes him look petty...and I would use the God idiom again (of Gods not fighting petty)...If he lets others force him to enter a petty, mud-slinging contest, he is letting them change him in ways in which they were not even capable of...
While I do agree that their is a lot of unjustified AB bashing, but making every silly article sound important...he is helping them...Though I do agree with undue criticism of Aish's dress every now and then, I mean come on..She is the most photographed Indian woman, are these journalists trying to tell that they know better...
I also see a trend, of celebrity bashing, an unwanted western import...this is not how we should be...

Ek suggestion hai, you can hyperlink the blogs you quoted...will make it easier for people to know what you are talking of...

KJ's blog! That might be interesting to read...While I only enjoy his movies in bits and pieces, and considered him another filmwallah kid making it big coz of connections. But,of late, after reading some of his interviews,I have come to respect him greatly, for his humility, and more importantly, his understanding of cinema and his vision...He does know how people perceive him.....which is rare, shows intellect! While, we may not agree with his kind of cinema at times, but lets face it, he is currently the most successful director in India...and it can't just be coz. of his formulaic approach, perhaps, he has a better understanding of movie-goers than most of us...and atleast his scripts are mostly original (even if silly at times)

Guess I got carried away and wrote too big of a comment...Hope it makes up for my absence :)

Amiya Shrivastava said...

It seems you are very much upset by Aamir Khan's 'calling-dog-shahrukh' kaand.

It's all follow the fad thinking. I have always thought that we Indians lack originality. It's bad because on one side when we are fueling brains of other countries we are failing to do so for our own country.

A critical note from you, this is a well knit and a finely written post.

I think you are exploring various styles of writings. Aren't you??

Unknown said...

Anadi:

Yeah dude, I didn't even care to read further after reading RGV's first post. Regarding Aish's dress, the journalists have to criticize someone, in fact many other people too, who find it hep to criticize. And she's the hot target; I remember she getting critical remarks about her dressing sense at almost all the Cannes festivals she's attended. But did you see Jaya Bachchan's Cannes dress? That was really horrible, but no one pointed out a finger. Aishwarya still looked stunning to me :) , and I remember a saying about beauty and beholder's eyes :)

Well Karan Johar, what he knows is how to sensationalize and how to appease the Indian crowd thereby making it huge at the box office. He might be the most popular director of date, but remove his starcast (which he gets because of his connections), and his films won't sell. He is intelligent, yes, he has been successful at achieving what he wants, but his movies are no longer my taste.

I guess you should (re)start writing at your blog too, you still have it in you. :)

Unknown said...

Amiya:

No dude, I am not at all upset at the dog-shahrukh kaand, but I think I'd have been immensely upset had it been the other way round, as in, had Shahrukh had a dog...:)

Thanks for liking the post. Yes, I tried to write something light and masaledaar. I realized thats what people like :)

Anadi Misra said...

OK...I got notification of this post today...Perhaps it takes more time sometimes. The yahoo ID you mentioned, I check it as frequently as 1120, its messenger where I am almost always on 1120...I check 3 of my 6 yahoo IDs several times a day...Is there a way to merge accounts?

Agree with the dress comments...the girls are so pretty most guys don't care about their fashion sense...unless extremely outrageous.

Regarding KJ, I am not defending his movies, I only like them in bits and pieces, mostly the fun parts without melodrama.
What I wanted to say was that earlier, I thought he was just there because of his filmy connections and copying YRF style...but I have come to realize that he is exceptionally talented, easily amongst the best we have in India...and if he wants, he can probably create a really 'intelligent' movie too...I mean the guy has an amazing understanding of cinema (and I am not saying that becuse of his success)

Anadi Misra said...

regarding re-blogging, guess I am just too lazy

Unknown said...

Anadi:

Yeah, the notification on email occurs at a particular slot of the day, it is not instantaneous...

There is no way to merge accounts, but you can enable autoforwarding on your lesser-used accounts. All mails to those accounts would be redirected to the forwarded account, and will have a "To" header showing the original id.

Anadi Misra said...

This is becoming more like a chat session but I noticed you put weblinks in for various blogs you referred to.
So, I went to RGV's blog and actually enjoyed the portions where he was not bashing the reviewers, or giving sillly responses to the comments.
I really enjoy reading when directors explain their rationale behind particular scenes...for one, it is very informative, and it helps me see it from an aangle I was not aware of, so makes it richer in temrs of interpretation.

Dimple said...

Good post and good comments.

comments are like another blog and at the same time a chat session too ;)

the blog itself is on publicity therefore this blog is highly popular ... heheeee :)

Unknown said...

Roli:

Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be wow.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Rambling mutterings’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Unknown said...

Ray:

Thanks for the appreciation. Regarding rambhai.com, that sure is an interesting site, but I don't think my blog comes under any of the categories you can post links there.

Anonymous said...

It was written very nicely.. but still 2 things that stood out:

1. There was a lot of biting sarcasm in ur post.. somehow I cud not relate to it.. you are a much softer person, I am more like that.. sarcastic, bitter. But u are always so sweet n nice.. to thoda sa mujhe ajeeb laga..

2. Yaar ye topic par har koi blog likh chuka hai.. I have gone thru’ these celeb blogs thru their references given in other ppl’s blog.. it is just next to the aarushi murder case.. it is like ‘not again!’..

Unknown said...

Violet:

Yeah there is quite some sarcasm here...tried writing that for a change, and as they say it, I do not want to get typecasted into one particular style :)

Post a Comment

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO